Wednesday 1 May 2019

Apologies and how to make Zulu Huts

Firstly I want to thank everyone that has commented on my posts this year and then say sorry for not publishing and answering them ,I totally missed them all , I will check more often .Secondly a number of people asked about how I made the Zulu huts ,really easy is the answer my first attempt was using a coconut which I scooped all the nice bits out of a Ithen used asmall modelling saw to cut the door out of ,I managed to smash one half doing this , so thought about different ways then just by chance I found Lizard houses in Pets at Home for £3 each ,these are basically a half cocnut with the door shape already cut ,sadky they only seem to stock 1 at a time but on there website I discovered if you ordered 2 you git 1 at half price  , so 2 huts for £4.50 and it gets better if you have them sent to your local store you dont get charged P&P and it only took 3 days for them to arrive ,quicker than royal mail . I then stuck some extra thatching on cut from a witches broom from poundland ( for those who are bound to ask it a £1.) .There were a couple of holes where the eyes of the cocnut were ( not sure of correct term ) I put some PVA around the inside of the holes stuck some paper towels over it then covered them with basing sand when they had dried . Having seen Zulu Huts up close recently I sprayed the coco-huts (copy rite) with grey car primer then the lower half and around the doors with  a sand colour spray but only very lightly ,when dry I dry brushed light and dark grey over the surfaces and that was it .The lizard huts (coconuts) obviously come in slightly different sizes but this again matches the real things no 2 are exactly the same size.





1 comment:

  1. I did wonder if they might be coconut shells, but seeing the source photographs, I have to say they look spot on.

    ReplyDelete