Thursday 18 June 2020

Lockdown Wargaming

When we first entered lockdown I never guessed we would be talking months , and I did not realise what a big part of my life wargaming was, the preparation ,painting etc obviously but the social side of it as well ,having suffered from depression previously I might have been in a bit of a dilemma if it had not been for a smallish group of fellow gamers from Sheffield War games Society who took the challenge by the teeth .With great enthusiasm 3  of the guys Tim,Martin and John have put on games each week via skype ,with miniatures laid out ,being moved to our orders and die rolls conducted by the organiser with great success .The games have taken us from the bloody sands of a gladiators arena to the war torn landscapes of Russia ,Greece ,North Africa and France during WW2 and the American Civl War amongst others , with if my memory serves me a minimum of 5 players and a huge game with 8 players fighting an Austro Prussian battle .I am quite proud of being part of this without taking any of the credit for the organisation of these wonderful games. So with my ventures into solo gaming and the massive amount of painting Ive got done ,the lockdown has shown that wargamers can prevail ,I know other groups have done the odd skype type game but to have a different ,entertaining game each week from matrix to miniature games from Ancient Rome to the Falklands is I believe an achievement to be proud of ,Thanks guys for letting me be a part of wargaming history ,which hopefully will enspire others well done.

1 comment:

  1. It has been an absolute pleasure. Like you I have enormously valued having some social contact and a weekly game.

    ReplyDelete