Thursday 13 November 2014

Rorkes Drift Survivors still together

After my trip to see Robert Jones VC 's Grave I thought I would start tracking down the final resting places of the other heroes of this epic struggle who made it back home. I was amazed to find that a small village graveyard less than an hours drive from my home had not one but three graves of Rorke's Drift veterans . Caleb Wood , Robert Tongue and James Marshall are all buried very close together in the Grave yard at Ruddington in Nottinghamshire .
Robert Tongue

Caleb Wood

James Marshall buried with his Wife .
All three head stones were replaced and rededicated in recent years and are on the top left hand side of the cemetery as you enter ,there are also number of other military Graves and the near by church has a lovely war memorial dedicated to the locals who died in the 1st ,2nd and Korean wars

No comments:

Post a Comment